Is it possible to install Python on a network?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 23:40:47 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:15 AM, roys2005 <roys2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
>   Thanks for the information. So, one option is to build Python
>   from source code to be able to install "/where/ever/..."
>
>   I still wonder why there is no distribution package for *ix that
>   contains binaries/libraries that can be installed "/where/ever/..."

In theory, you could change all the various autoconf'd tools to get
their "prefix" from an environment variable, but right now, they
pretty much all want to get their prefix at compile time.  Some only
use it to know where to install, but CPython is one of many that looks
for ancillary files under "prefix".