Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 21:39:34 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> If I recall correctly, it [Python under cmd.exe] is
> missing any sort of command history or line editing other than backspace,

Not quite, but it has some extreme oddities. I'd have to call them
features because I can't imagine them to be bugs, but they're very
surprising... like how you can recall something, but if you enter it
without any editing, your "current recall position" is retained. This
means you can re-enter a series of lines by recalling the first and
then pressing Down, Enter for each subsequent line (it's a feature!),
but it means that any usage where the lines are truly independent will
start getting very awkward.

In contrast, Idle recalls entire suites, rather than individual lines,
which (IMO) makes it superior to a readline-based interface.

ChrisA