Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

C.D. Reimer chris at cdreimer.com
Sat Jul 19 21:53:02 EDT 2014

On 7/19/2014 6:23 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I haven't used Python on Windows much, but when I did use it, I found
> the standard Python interactive interpreter running under cmd.exe to
> be bare- bones but usable for testing short snippets. If I recall
> correctly, it is missing any sort of command history or line editing
> other than backspace, which I guess it would have been painful to use
> for extensive interactive work, but when I started using Python on
> Linux the interactive interpreter had no readline support either so it
> was just like old times :-)

Windows PowerShell supports very basic Linux commands and has a command
history. I'm always typing "ls" for a directory listing when I'm on a
Windows machine. The regular command line would throw a DOS fit.
PowerShell lets me get away with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Comparison_of_cmdlets_with_similar_commands

I prefer working on my vintage 2006 Black MacBook. Alas, the CPU fan is
dying and MacBook shuts down after 15 minutes. I'm surprised at how well
I was able to set up a equivalent programming environment on Windows.

Chris Reimer