Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 19 21:23:30 EDT 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:31:10 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> So why does Python ship with IDLE?
>
> On Windows the Idle shell is needed for sensible interactive use.

One might say that *some* IDE is needed, but Idle itself isn't
compulsory :-)

It also depends on what you consider sensible.

I haven't used Python on Windows much, but when I did use it, I found the
standard Python interactive interpreter running under cmd.exe to be bare-
bones but usable for testing short snippets. If I recall correctly, it is
missing any sort of command history or line editing other than backspace,
which I guess it would have been painful to use for extensive interactive
work, but when I started using Python on Linux the interactive
interpreter had no readline support either so it was just like old
times :-)

--
Steven