Python 3 is killing Python

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 18:54:58 EDT 2014

On 17/07/2014 02:16, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:00:16 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Further the number of people assisting on the bug tracker
>> at the moment appears to me to be going up, not down.  It
>> therefore strikes me that Python is extremely tenable,
>> thus indicating that people are not falling for the FUD
>> about Python 2 versus Python 3.
>
> Again, your "metrics", are tainted. I believe the spike in
> bug reports has less to do with:

Where did I say anything about a spike in bug reports?  There are a
large number of open reports, but a backlog built up as the core
developers were at one point having to commit changes to five different
versions.  Design work is being done to simplify this process and hence
free up core developers' time.  It will take time but in a year or three
I expect to see the number of open bugs dropping considerably.

>      "New community members jumping in to help"

The above is true, greatly helped by the core mentorship mailing list.

> And more to do with:
>
>      "Damn, this Python3 is buggy and i need to tell someone
>      so i can get my customers off my back and this egg off
>      my face, lest my feet move faster than Fred Flintstone!"

Wrong, e.g. there were far more bug reports about encode or decode
errors in Python 2 than we (the Python community) see for Python 3.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---