Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:20:57 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> But i think that when the time arrives, the "someone", or
> "some entity" will inevitably decide that, whilst Python2.x
> was the best high level language available to date, it has
> many flaws that cannot be worked around "cleanly", so
> instead of continuing on with Python "as-is", we should take
> all the good ideas of Python, plus all the good ideas of
> Ruby, plus few good ideas in Perl, Javascript, etc... and
> create a *whole* new language that will supersede them all.
>
>     BECAUSE REMEMBER, EVOLUTION IS A GOOD THING!

Let 'em. If you believe evolution is such a good thing, you're most
welcome to arrange it. Personally, I believe that *guided development*
is a good thing, and whaddayaknow, that's exactly what we have here
from GvR and from the python-dev team. Proper development of a large
or small project requires an intelligent person with a hand on the
tiller, not randomly undirected additions (or, perhaps not
"undirected" so much as "directed by every single whining mailing list
post" - which is the same thing, really); someone needs to decide
which ideas are good and which are bad. Undirected evolution is
destructive. Directed cultivation is constructive.

ChrisA