Python 3 is killing Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jul 16 23:16:00 EDT 2014

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:41:38 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

> I personally know of few major software developers, who whilst
> "shopping" for a scripting language for their API, wanted to integrate
> Python because of it's clean syntax and auto-encapsulation, but they
> where forced to choose *another* language because of all the headaches
> that backwards incompatibility of Python 3000 would induce in the users
> of the API.

Oh Really?

I call bullshit. Name names. Name projects.

If they are "shopping" for a scripting language, that means they don't
have one yet. Which means their users have no existing scripts that need
to be ported from Python 2 to 3. Whatever language is chosen, whether it
is Ruby, Lua, Python 3 or something else, its all equally as new.

--
Steven