Python 3 is killing Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 00:47:08 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:16:00 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> If they are "shopping" for a scripting language, that
> means they don't have one yet. Which means their users
> have no existing scripts that need to be ported from
> Python 2 to 3. Whatever language is chosen, whether it is
> Ruby, Lua, Python 3 or something else, its all equally as
> new.

Sometimes, when we become proficient in an area of
expertise, we forget about all the stumbling blocks that
impede the neophytes -- which explains your befuddlement!

Even though i will freely admit that Python is the easiest
language to learn (IMHO), and more so because GvR did not
allow TIM-TOWDI to run rampant, Python2 already had many
stumbling blocks (new classes vs old classes crap!), but
Python3 exacerbated the problem by interjecting many, *MANY*
more stumbling blocks!

You and i don't use "print", and especially not "input" all
that much, but both of these (types of) functions are
*VITAL* lifelines for the noob when learning a language!

Not to mention the issues of looking at the wrong "version"
of a tutorial when using the "other" version of Python.
Again, you and i won't make these mistakes, but a noob will!

Look, Python has gone from:
    "A noob friendly language"

to:
    "A Noobie subtle bug hell!".

And since not all APIs are intended for "professional
programmers", choosing a language that is easy to learn, but
also, not "overly confusing" and "easy to misuse", is vital!

You cannot expect, say: "audio and video" people, to be
"professional programmers" -- who know all the "do's" and
"don'ts" of a dozen or so different languages and have
degrees in computer science and extensive knowledge of
algorithmic and logic theories!

They are just people who need to automate this or that task,
or create a functionality that does not exist via the GUI
interface, and as such, they should *NOT* need to be
burdened with the pitfalls of a backwards compatibility and
fractured community nightmare!

    NO THANKS PYTHON, WE WANT OUR USERS TO BE "PRODUCTIVE"!