Looking for tips for moving dev environment from Windows to Mac

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Wed Jan 8 10:45:56 EST 2014

On Jan 8, 2014, at 9:11 AM, python at bdurham.com wrote:

> Long time Windows developer making the move to Apple platform. My new development environment is a 15" MacBook Pro with 16 Gb RAM and a 512 Gb SSD. I'm totally new to the world of Apple hardware and software and am looking for advice on what apps, utilities and hardware I should consider for my new environment..

Welcome to the world of Macs, OS-X, and Darwin.

> Some early questions:
>
> 1. Which distribution of Python to install (Python.org, ActivateState, other?) and do I need to do anything special to avoid overwriting the system copy of Python?

The answer to this is going to depend on exactly what you are intending to do.  ActiveState (for example) has what may well be the best totally integrated package of libraries (GUI, numpy, mathplotlib, and such), but has a pretty expensive license if you are going to do commercial development.  Tell us more if you want a better recommendation.

> 2. Text editor: Textmate, BBEdit, Emacs/VI, or other?

At the risk of setting off a religious war; I use BBEdit (have used it for years, and have been very pleased with its speed, power, regular updates, and integration with the OS).  There is strong support for other editors on this list, I'm sure you will hear from supporters of vi, Emacs, and Vim.

> 3. Multiple external monitors: Any recommendations on monitor specs/models for 2 external monitors for a MacBook?

I use Apple monitors, but that's strictly personal.

> 4. Best visual diff utility for Mac?

BBEdit has a nice built-in diff with side-by-side scrolling windows.  When combined with its code-folding, multi-file search, and built-in python support, it makes a nice package.

> Any other "gotta have" Mac apps, utilities, or hardware accessories you would recommend?

Two external disks.  One dedicated to TimeMachine for continuous backups of code as you write it, and one dedicated to either CarbonCopy Cloner or SuperDuper.  Whichever you choose, set it up to do once-a-week clones at say 2:00 AM Sunday.  Modern Mac's are just as hard to crash as any other modern UNIX-derived system, and Mac laptops continue to top Consumer Reports list of trouble-free systems, but ANY hardware can develop problems and it pays to be paranoid.

Again, welcome.

-Bill