Looking for tips for moving dev environment from Windows to Mac

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Wed Jan 8 09:11:54 EST 2014

Long time Windows developer making the move to Apple platform. My new
development environment is a 15" MacBook Pro with 16 Gb RAM and a 512
Gb SSD. I'm totally new to the world of Apple hardware and software and
am looking for advice on what apps, utilities and hardware I should
consider for my new environment..

Some early questions:

1. Which distribution of Python to install (Python.org, ActivateState,
other?) and do I need to do anything special to avoid overwriting the
system copy of Python?

2. Text editor: Textmate, BBEdit, Emacs/VI, or other?

3. Multiple external monitors: Any recommendations on monitor
specs/models for 2 external monitors for a MacBook?

4. Best visual diff utility for Mac?

Any other "gotta have" Mac apps, utilities, or hardware accessories you
would recommend?

Thank you!

Malcolm