Looking for tips for moving dev environment from Windows to Mac

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 12:07:50 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 AM, William Ray Wing <wrw at mac.com> wrote:
> Two external disks.  One dedicated to TimeMachine for continuous backups of code as you write it, and one dedicated to either CarbonCopy Cloner or SuperDuper.  Whichever you choose, set it up to do once-a-week clones at say 2:00 AM Sunday.  Modern Mac's are just as hard to crash as any other modern UNIX-derived system, and Mac laptops continue to top Consumer Reports list of trouble-free systems, but ANY hardware can develop problems and it pays to be paranoid.

That's one option. I prefer to put anything that's even vaguely
important into a git repository, toss a remote clone of it onto one of
my servers, and commit and push every change. (And if it's important,
I'll clone that on another machine and pull, so I have a minimum of
three copies.) It's a bit more work, a bit more manual, but it gives
me versioning, backups, cryptographic hash checksums, notes ("Why the
bleep did you do that, Past-Me?!?"), and replication, all in one tidy
package. I don't know how much disk space you need for the two backup
systems you describe there, but the size of a full-history repository
isn't going to be huge, unless you're constantly editing big binary
files.

ChrisA