Python (?) webserver for WSGI

Asaf Las roegltd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 16:33:16 EST 2014

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:05:58 PM UTC+2, Nicholas wrote:
> Dear List,
>

> What is the latest "best-practice" for deploying a python wsgi
> application into production?
>
> For development, I've been using CherryPyWSGIServer which has been
> working very well (and the code is small enough to actually ship with
> my application).  But I would like some way of deploying a server
> listening on port 80 (and then dropping root privileges).
>
> I have looked at using gunicorn + ngnix, but that gives me 3 layers
> that I need to set up:
>
> - my own application
> - gunicorn
> - ngnix

Yes, but are you after simplicity of setup or reliability?
If security is your concern - eventually you have to dive into
routines of verifying settings auditing etc and spend
week(s) if you have no solid prior experience in that field and even
after that there is still a lot to learn.

the interesting side of nginx is load balancing toward back end
so you can distribute your back ends over multiple machines and have
scalability for least effort, though seems you don't need due to
low expected load.
there is another popular choice nginx + uwsgi