Python (?) webserver for WSGI

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 16:05:58 EST 2014

Dear List,

What is the latest "best-practice" for deploying a python wsgi
application into production?

For development, I've been using CherryPyWSGIServer which has been
working very well (and the code is small enough to actually ship with
my application).  But I would like some way of deploying a server
listening on port 80 (and then dropping root privileges).

I have looked at using gunicorn + ngnix, but that gives me 3 layers
that I need to set up:

- my own application
- gunicorn
- ngnix

Compared to using something like CherryPyWSGIServer (where a single
line of code starts my application!) that seems like overkill and
rather complicated for a small application.

I'm not expecting 1000s of users (or even dozens!), but this is an
application that will be accessible to "the internet" and  so server
security is a concern (which is why I don't want to use anything that
labels itself as a "development" webserver).

As far as I can tell, this is something of a fast-moving target.  What
advice do people have?  I'm using python 3, in case it makes a
difference.

Best wishes,

N.