Manually uninstall python 3.4.1 x64

Llelan D. LlelanD at TheSnakePitDev.com
Fri Aug 29 23:26:16 EDT 2014

On 8/29/2014 12:53 PM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 29/08/2014 09:19, Curtis Clauson wrote:
>
> Unfortunately I don't think there's a simple answer to this one. (Altho'
> I'm not an MSI expert and I'd be very happy to be overruled).
> msiexec.exe, which is the program which actually runs the MSIs, has a
> number of options you can invoke, including a verbose logging option.
> You can see them all by doing:
>
>    msiexec /?
>
> or, presumably some MSDN page with the same information.
>
> Some things which might be worth trying include:
>
>    msiexec /log whatever.log python-xx-yy.msi
>
> to log verbosely, in the hope that some missing or present file or
> registry might show up. And/or playing with the Repair Options to narrow
> things down.
>
> TJG

Actually, I do know more than a little about the Windows MSI service and
application, and had already perused the logs to no avail. All of the
listed registry keys were deleted without changing the problem. The
missing file is of no importance since I already know the installation
directory is deleted. It's just that the installer should normally
supply that information.

The error messages are Windows System errors that are being caused by
requirements of the MSI installer file and not the msiexec.exe
application. The problem is with how the installer is written and not
the MSI system.

There's always a simple answer to things like this. It's just that the
simple answers are harder to find in poorly written code.

I randomly poked around the registry a lot more, deleting anything I
could find referring to Python34 and then the string "Python 3.4.1". I
finally got desperate enough to delete the python installer entries
under the Windows Installer key (the list of installed applications in
the Windows "Uninstall or Change a Program" Control Panel). You know,
the registry keys you are *NEVER* to use as an indication if the
application is currently installed because MS constantly corrupts this
list and can leave your installation in an un-installable,
un-repairable, and un-removeable state?

Well it worked. The Python installer no longer sees the application as
installed and happily performs a full installation. I did that, a full
removal to get rid of any other problems, and a clean installation and
everything works fine now.

This installer is seriously screwed up and desperately needs a re-write.
It should use its own key to indicate whether the application is
installed but should not depend on it in case of a partially
installed/removed state, should not require any installed file to fully
repair or remove the application, and should query the user if any
information required is missing from the installation or registry. In
other words, the normal MSI installer guidelines.

I hope this is of help to someone out there.