Manually uninstall python 3.4.1 x64

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Aug 29 15:53:13 EDT 2014

On 29/08/2014 09:19, Curtis Clauson wrote:
> Python v3.4.1 x64 on Windows 7 x64.
>
> I've a situation where the c:/Python34 directory was irrecoverably deleted.
>
> When I run the python-3.4.1.amd64.msi installer and choose Remove, it
> gives me a dialog saying a required file is missing about halfway
> through. It gives me no clue as to what this file is.
>
> If I choose Repair, it gives me a dialog saying "The specified account
> already exists" about halfway through. Totally cryptic.
>
> If I choose Change and either select that all features or no features
> will be installed, it gives me a dialog saying "The specified account
> already exists" about halfway through.
>
> I've tried hunting down and deleting every reference to the installation
> directory in the registry but it doesn't change this problem. I am
> completely unable to install, uninstall, or repair python.
>
> Is there a resource that will completely uninstall python without
> requiring that any of the previously installed files exist, or that
> gives complete instructions on how to manually remove enough so that the
> installer will work again?

Unfortunately I don't think there's a simple answer to this one. (Altho'
I'm not an MSI expert and I'd be very happy to be overruled).
msiexec.exe, which is the program which actually runs the MSIs, has a
number of options you can invoke, including a verbose logging option.
You can see them all by doing:

   msiexec /?

or, presumably some MSDN page with the same information.

Some things which might be worth trying include:

   msiexec /log whatever.log python-xx-yy.msi

to log verbosely, in the hope that some missing or present file or
registry might show up. And/or playing with the Repair Options to narrow
things down.

TJG