Manually uninstall python 3.4.1 x64

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 30 01:13:13 EDT 2014

On 8/29/2014 11:26 PM, Llelan D. wrote:

> Actually, I do know more than a little about the Windows MSI service and
> application, and had already perused the logs to no avail. All of the
> listed registry keys were deleted without changing the problem. The
> missing file is of no importance since I already know the installation
> directory is deleted. It's just that the installer should normally
> supply that information.
>
> The error messages are Windows System errors that are being caused by
> requirements of the MSI installer file and not the msiexec.exe
> application. The problem is with how the installer is written and not
> the MSI system.
>
> There's always a simple answer to things like this. It's just that the
> simple answers are harder to find in poorly written code.
>
> I randomly poked around the registry a lot more, deleting anything I
> could find referring to Python34 and then the string "Python 3.4.1". I
> finally got desperate enough to delete the python installer entries
> under the Windows Installer key (the list of installed applications in
> the Windows "Uninstall or Change a Program" Control Panel). You know,
> the registry keys you are *NEVER* to use as an indication if the
> application is currently installed because MS constantly corrupts this
> list and can leave your installation in an un-installable,
> un-repairable, and un-removeable state?
>
> Well it worked. The Python installer no longer sees the application as
> installed and happily performs a full installation. I did that, a full
> removal to get rid of any other problems, and a clean installation and
> everything works fine now.
>
> This installer is seriously screwed up and desperately needs a re-write.
> It should use its own key to indicate whether the application is
> installed but should not depend on it in case of a partially
> installed/removed state, should not require any installed file to fully
> repair or remove the application, and should query the user if any
> information required is missing from the installation or registry. In
> other words, the normal MSI installer guidelines.
>
> I hope this is of help to someone out there.

Please file an issue on the tracker reporting the problem (you are not
the first!) and your suggested solutions and add steve.dower as nosy. He
is a MS employee - Python volunteer who has very recently assumed
maintenance of the msi installer.  He wants to upgrade it.

The installer is build with msilib.  Feel free to take a look at that.

--
Terry Jan Reedy