What is acceptable as 'open-source'? [was Python vs C++]

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Wed Aug 27 15:41:59 EDT 2014

Am 27.08.14 09:50, schrieb Frank Millman:
> This is quite a timely message for me. I am inching closer to releasing a
> version of my accounting software, and a lot of the above comments apply to
> me as well. At present I am the only developer, and my project is not hosted
> anywhere, so I have to decide how to make it available, and I am open to
> suggestions.
 >
> [...]
 >
> I could stick to hg (or git) but I have recently come across fossil, and it
> seems ideal for my needs. Has anyone used it? It seems to have everything it
> needs (a wiki and a ticketing system) for self-hosting, and I have my own
> domain that I have not activated yet, so maybe I should just use fossil and
> host it myself. Any comments?

Fossil is indeed an impressive piece. It comes from Richard Hipp, the
guy behind SQLite, and it's currently in use to manage the Tcl/Tk
sources. If you want to do the hosting yourself, it can be a good choice.

I myself decided not to use it, but instead use git with github. The
reasons:

- github offers much more than plain git; you can host a website in the
repo, included is a (rudimentary) templating engine, which allows to
write your docs in simple markdown [*]

- the github frontpage makes it easier to download a tarball of the
project. In the fossil website it's quite hard to find

- github gives the server storage for free to open source projects

- there is a "social network" - anybody who wants to contribute, can
send you pull requests via github

- For large projects, git is much faster than fossil to update the repo.

The good news: you can migrate from fossil to git; e.g. the tcl/tk repos
are mirrored to github. For fossil, there is also public storage space
e.g. on chiselapp.com as an alternative

	Christian

[*] in case you are curious, this is the website of my repo:
http://auriocus.github.io/VecTcl/
The content is all done in markdown, including math and syntax
highlighting, and the template was adopted from one of the designs
offered from github