What is acceptable as 'open-source'?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 01:44:10 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> I'd venture to say files are quite independent most of the time. That's
> why such merges have been facilitated to the point that negates the
> "feature" you mentioned. Nobody cares to take the trouble of analyzing
> the validity of automatic merges.

Okay. Imagine a big C program (hundreds of .c files) and the latest
build segfaults on certain input. You know that 60 commits ago it
wasn't segfaulting. Now, you have two options:

1) Work with the repo as an entire whole, and bisect those 60 commits
in about six steps, to find when the segfault began.
2) Look through which files have been changed, which might be a couple
dozen, and treat each file's changes separately.

I know which I'd rather do. The project is one thing, regardless of
how many files it is, and a successful build might not even be
possible if you get mismatched versions. I call it a feature.

ChrisA