GO vs Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:07:48 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
> my initial reason for even looking at GO, was because, I noticed that if I
> wanted to move my largest clients app from Python 2.x to 3.x it was almost a
> rewrite..... and then when I noticed the libraries for python 3.x were
> limited, and some python 2.x libraries are not even making a 3.x version...
>
> Well I got scared, Go started to look attractive, because your no longer
> comparing GO to the entire python community, it is GO vs python 3...

If your Python 2 -> Python 3 transition was "almost a rewrite", then
either your code is making horribly messy assumptions about bytes vs
text everywhere (in which case the pain will happen, Py3 just forces
you to deal with it up-front instead of burying your head in the sand
and wishing "funny characters" would go away), or you did the
transition wrongly. It's not a complete change of language.

And, what libraries are you short of for Python 3? List them! Maybe
they do exist now. Nearly everything important does, there are only a
handful of large/popular 2.x-only modules. And if you talk about
what's missing, you demonstrate the need for those ports, which might
be the impetus someone needs to make it available.

There's way too much vague FUD about Python 3. Everyone who complains
does so with "oh, there aren't many libraries for Python 3", not with
"PyFooBar isn't available for Python 3", which would actually be
useful.

ChrisA