GO vs Python

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:27:36 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > my initial reason for even looking at GO, was because, I noticed that if
> > wanted to move my largest clients app from Python 2.x to 3.x it was
> almost a
> > rewrite..... and then when I noticed the libraries for python 3.x were
> > limited, and some python 2.x libraries are not even making a 3.x
> version...
> >
> > Well I got scared, Go started to look attractive, because your no longer
> > comparing GO to the entire python community, it is GO vs python 3...
>
> If your Python 2 -> Python 3 transition was "almost a rewrite", then
> either your code is making horribly messy assumptions about bytes vs
> text everywhere (in which case the pain will happen, Py3 just forces
> you to deal with it up-front instead of burying your head in the sand
> and wishing "funny characters" would go away), or you did the
> transition wrongly. It's not a complete change of language.
>
> And, what libraries are you short of for Python 3? List them! Maybe
> they do exist now. Nearly everything important does, there are only a
> handful of large/popular 2.x-only modules. And if you talk about
> what's missing, you demonstrate the need for those ports, which might
> be the impetus someone needs to make it available.
>
> There's way too much vague FUD about Python 3. Everyone who complains
> does so with "oh, there aren't many libraries for Python 3", not with
> "PyFooBar isn't available for Python 3", which would actually be
> useful.
>
> ChrisA
> --

Thanks your your input chris, honestly it was the end of 2012 when I looked
into a large py3 port for a client.
I wrote a very large web project on Cheetah, and at the time there wasnt a
Py3 port... Now I get that back when I wrote this code years before, I
should have chose something else..

I remember doing some browsing around, and the pooco people that make
jinja2 were not fans of python3(I forget the blog post), I got scared
because a very large portion of my income was based on a single client...
So since we were having scalability issues anyway, I moved them to GO, and
it was a Win - Win, the GO standard lib does so much, and the scalability
gains we received over python were so large, that we were able to reduce
out AWS bill so much that I could hire another coder.

I really like python, and we use it a ton, but a python like compiled
language did wonders for us when we needed it most.

Sam Fourman Jr.

--

Sam Fourman Jr.