Global indent

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:14:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Neil D. Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
>> Emacs and vim both have huge learning curves that I've decided aren't
>> worth climbing.  Notepad++ is an excellent GUI text editor for Windows.
>> Geany is nearly as good, and runs on anything.
>

> They do have a very long learning incline but it isn't actually as steep as
> it looks--it's just that it keeps going up as far as you can see.  :)
>
> If simple things weren't simple to do, neither product would have ever
> succeeded.
>
> The GUI version of Vim (gvim), has beginner modes and Windows-like modes to
> help with the transitional phases.

Learning vi:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/vi.ref.6

The first time I saw vi, I hated it.  I thought "Why would anyone
actually choose such a terrible editor?"

But then I was forced to use vi for a while,  and I'm glad I was.  I
choose it over other editors now.  vi/vim give you a pretty much
orthogonal set of verbs and nouns in an editing language.

When I have to use editors that make you arrow-key around or click
with a mouse, I feel like it's painfully slow - especially if I need
to do the same thing 5 times in a row.  Sure, some editors let you
define macros - vi/vim do that too. But AFAIK, only vi/vim allow you
to define a repeatable action without forethought.