Global indent

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 23 05:31:21 EDT 2014

Dan Stromberg wrote:

> The first time I saw vi, I hated it.  I thought "Why would anyone
> actually choose such a terrible editor?"
>
> But then I was forced to use vi for a while,  and I'm glad I was.  I
> choose it over other editors now.  vi/vim give you a pretty much
> orthogonal set of verbs and nouns in an editing language.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by "orthogonal set of verbs and
nouns in an editing language". Can you explain?

> When I have to use editors that make you arrow-key around or click
> with a mouse, I feel like it's painfully slow - especially if I need
> to do the same thing 5 times in a row.  Sure, some editors let you
> define macros - vi/vim do that too. But AFAIK, only vi/vim allow you
> to define a repeatable action without forethought.

I find that between find/replace and Block Selection editing, I can't really
say I've missed either the lack of editing macros or these orthogonal
verbs, whatever they are. Occasionally I move a large editing job into
Python, but I wouldn't want to learn a separate language for that.

--
Steven