Free Video Course + cool exercises

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:43:59 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Everything You Need To Know
<eyn2k at outlook.com> wrote:
> You are correct in suggesting that the current course is Windows Specific, though as far as I currently understand it only effects conditional imports such as time.clock() into time.time(). Which is a great warning to add suggestions at appropriate times to deal with these.

Being Windows-specific isn't a problem, but it would be good to say
so. (And if you haven't tested out your course on Linux or Mac OS,
it's best to say you're Windows-only. There'll likely be little bits
and pieces here and there that won't work, and the only way to know is
to actually try things.)

The reason I figured you were assuming Windows is because  it's the
biggest platform that doesn't come with some Python already installed
or easily obtainable. With most Linux distributions, Python either
comes as part of the base system, or is conveniently installed with
apt-get, yum, pacman, or whatever the standard installer is - but it
might be not the latest (for instance, the current Debian stable ships
with Python 3.2, although the next Debian release will have either 3.4
or 3.5, depending on whether the latter gets ready in time for
Jessie's feature freeze). So if you target Linux, you'll probably want
to be very clear about what versions of Python you support. I would
advise going for 3.3+ or 3.4+ (if you haven't tested on 3.3, say
3.4+). On Windows, you can start by walking people through the
installation, and then they'll get the latest as of their
installation.

ChrisA