Free Video Course + cool exercises

Everything You Need To Know eyn2k at outlook.com
Mon Aug 18 22:11:59 EDT 2014

On Monday, 18 August 2014 23:13:59 UTC+9:30, Chris Angelico  wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Everything You Need To Know
>
> <eyn2k at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> > You are correct in suggesting that the current course is Windows Specific, though as far as I currently understand it only effects conditional imports such as time.clock() into time.time(). Which is a great warning to add suggestions at appropriate times to deal with these.
>

> Being Windows-specific isn't a problem, but it would be good to say
>
> so. (And if you haven't tested out your course on Linux or Mac OS,
>
> it's best to say you're Windows-only. There'll likely be little bits
>
> and pieces here and there that won't work, and the only way to know is
>
> to actually try things.)
>

> The reason I figured you were assuming Windows is because  it's the
>
> biggest platform that doesn't come with some Python already installed
>
> or easily obtainable. With most Linux distributions, Python either
>
> comes as part of the base system, or is conveniently installed with
>
> apt-get, yum, pacman, or whatever the standard installer is - but it
>
> might be not the latest (for instance, the current Debian stable ships
>
> with Python 3.2, although the next Debian release will have either 3.4
>
> or 3.5, depending on whether the latter gets ready in time for
>
> Jessie's feature freeze). So if you target Linux, you'll probably want
>
> to be very clear about what versions of Python you support. I would
>
> advise going for 3.3+ or 3.4+ (if you haven't tested on 3.3, say
>
> 3.4+). On Windows, you can start by walking people through the
>
> installation, and then they'll get the latest as of their
>
> installation.
>

> ChrisA

Thank you very much ChrisA, your post has been very enlightening and helpful. I will try to transfer this knowledge on and I will address platform issues in 0.7, once I have done addressing programming paradigms adequately (writing the quick tutorial atm) with your permission, I will put a small note thanking you or this forum for your help.

I was previously made aware of Linux having a base Python, though until you pointed it out, the limitations did not occur to me.

Have a great week, Thank you