Python and IDEs

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Aug 1 08:19:52 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Wolfgang Keller <feliphil at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Because on such operating systems, each and every application is an
>> entirely self-contained package that doesn't need any "packages" or
>> "installers" to use it.
>
> You mean everyone has to reinvent the proverbial wheel AND worry about
> dependency collisions? Yeah, that's a heavenly thought.

I'm guessing he's referring to the modern fad of application sandboxing.
Each application is installed with everything it needs on top of the
basic OS.

If you have ten Python apps, you'll have ten Python installations. Also
the applications have no way to communicate outside their respective
sandboxes. They can't access each others' files, for example.

Personally, I tend to stick to this package management strategy: install
whatever is available with yum and write the rest yourself.

Marko