Python and IDEs

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:30:31 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> I'm guessing he's referring to the modern fad of application sandboxing.
> Each application is installed with everything it needs on top of the
> basic OS.
>
> If you have ten Python apps, you'll have ten Python installations. Also
> the applications have no way to communicate outside their respective
> sandboxes. They can't access each others' files, for example.
>
> Personally, I tend to stick to this package management strategy: install
> whatever is available with yum and write the rest yourself.

Only if by "write" you also include compiling someone else's program
from source. I follow that strategy (except that I use apt rather than
yum), and there's a fair bit that I build from source but don't write.
Granted, that's partly because Debian Stable doesn't include a
sufficiently recent Python, for instance, but still, there's a lot to
be said for getting libraries (including dev versions) from the repo
and building some applications yourself.

ChrisA