UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb6 in position 0: invalid start byte

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 10:19:49 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Νίκος <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> superhost.gr.   14400   IN      MX      0       superhost.gr.
>
> mail    14400   IN      CNAME   superhost.gr.
>
> As for the mail iam afrid it outputs this:
> Code:
> Warning MX CNAME Check  WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX
> records:
> mail.superhost.gr
> The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per the
> RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
> Error   MX A request returns CNAME      WARNING: MX records points to a
> CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034
> 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
> mail.superhost.gr points to ['superhost.gr']

Once again, you are posting code and errors that don't go with each
other. Your MX record does not point to mail.superhost.gr but to
superhost.gr itself. This makes it extremely difficult to help you.
EXTREMELY.

Two options: Either edit your bind file manually OR use some other
tool for viewing and editing it. If the latter, the bindfile is
utterly meaningless - look at the other tool. If the former, I would
rewrite your zone file like this:

-- cut --
$TTL 14400
@   86400   IN      SOA     ns1.superhost.gr.       nikosgr33k.gmail.com.  (
                                                2013092903 ;Serial Number
                                                86400 ;refresh
                                                7200 ;retry
                                                3600000 ;expire
                                                86400   )

@   86400   IN      NS      ns1
@   86400   IN      NS      ns2

@   IN      A       84.200.17.58

@   IN      MX      0 @

mail    IN      CNAME   @
www     IN      CNAME   @
ftp     IN      CNAME   @
-- cut --

The changes I've made are:
1) Remove the massive duplication of your domain name, mainly by using
the shorthand "@". (There are other shorthands you can use, too.)
2) Remove the dot from your email address. Currently your official
address is nikos at gr33k.gmail.com which is flat-out wrong. Fortunately
for you, Gmail will accept nikosgr33k at gmail.com no problem.
3) Eliding the TTLs where they're the same as your default
4) Removing the entry for localhost.superhost.gr which you shouldn't
really be using - it'll only confuse matters. Use localhost as a TLD -
that's how it's set up.

Aside from #2 and #4, this shouldn't actually change your DNS records,
but it'll make your bindfile that much easier to read and work with.

Of course, if you're editing the file with some other program, don't
do this at all. Just use that other program.

ChrisA