Python GUI?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 01:05:14 EDT 2013

On 09/11/2013 02:55 PM, eamonnrea at gmail.com wrote:
> PyQT -- You have a GUI designer, so I'm not going to count that

What do you mean?  Gtk has a GUI designer too.  what of it?

> I, personally, really like wxPython, but I also really like Tkinter.
> I've messed with PyGTK, but I'd choose wxPython over it.

Not me.  wxWidgets' event model is way too MFC-esque for me.  Does it
still use event numbers that you define?  Shudder.

Gtk and Qt's method of signals and slots is by far the most powerful and
flexible.

> Have you got anything to say on what one I should be using(excluding
> PyQT because it has a D&D designer >:( )? Is Tkinter really dead?
> Should I stick with wxPython?

I still don't understand why you are excluding Qt.  All modern toolkits
are heading towards imperative GUI design.  With Gtk I use Glade and
GtkBuilder.  My GUI is in a nice XML file that gets loaded and
manipulated by my python class.  It's extremely clean.  And in the case
of compiled programming, you don't have to recompile just to tweak
something like a layout.

At the moment if someone were to come in from scratch and ask what GUI
toolkit to use, I would answer Qt with PySide.  It's the most
cross-platform of all the toolkits, and it's one of the most mature.
Gtk is also good, but Windows and Mac support is always lagging behind
X11, and it's not as good at fitting into the native look and feel.

> Also, with wxPython, it has kind of a "flow" layout like JFrame,
> whereas it will adjust it's layout to look like a native Mac App,
> Windows app or Linux App, correct? It'll look almost identical,
> right? Not that it matters, I'm just curious! :D

Possibly.  I know Qt and Gtk both can flip the button orders, etc to
look more native.  And all good toolkits give you layout managers so you
never have to resort to fixed layouts.  Qt's layout system is very
different than Gtk's, but once you get the feel of it (use the Qt
Designer program!), it makes a lot of sense.