Python GUI?

eamonnrea at gmail.com eamonnrea at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:55:59 EDT 2013

There are a few known GUI toolkits out there, and the main ones from what I can tell are:

Tkinter -- Simple to use, but limited
PyQT -- You have a GUI designer, so I'm not going to count that
PyGTK -- Gnome officially back this I think
wxPython -- Very nice, very professional, approved by Python creator, but alas hard to get started with

So, what are your personal preferences and why? Why use X over Y?

I, personally, really like wxPython, but I also really like Tkinter. I've messed with PyGTK, but I'd choose wxPython over it.

Have you got anything to say on what one I should be using(excluding PyQT because it has a D&D designer >:( )? Is Tkinter really dead? Should I stick with wxPython?

It's might be similar to the "What language to use" argument, or the "What background to code on" argument(I prefer darker backgrounds xD Please don't argue about this though!), in the sense that there is *no* answer, just preference.

Also, with wxPython, it has kind of a "flow" layout like JFrame, whereas it will adjust it's layout to look like a native Mac App, Windows app or Linux App, correct? It'll look almost identical, right? Not that it matters, I'm just curious! :D

Thanks!