First day beginner to python, add to counter after nested loop

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 31 07:12:15 EDT 2013

Op 31-10-13 08:37, rusi schreef:
> On Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:37:31 AM UTC+5:30, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>> Can I suggest that perhaps Jonas is someone best ignored?  It's clear
>>> he is not willing to join the community, and does not value much of
>>> what we have to say.  In addition, he seems to be above providing details
>>> for claims he makes.
>
>> Yes, you can suggest that. I might extend him the benefit of doubt for one
>> or two more exchanges, but if I don't notice any appearance of good will by
>> then I will in the future mostly ignore him.
>
> Couple of things I wish to say:
> 1. One of the tragedies of human relations is escalation:
>  - I shout at you
>  - You hit me
>  - I shoot you
>  - You bomb me and mine (and not remotely mine) out of existence
>  - and so on
>
> If Mark had not been rude to Jonas and explained to him at a little more
> length, maybe he would not be assholing in full-blast.
> Or maybe not… Maybe he is just trolling… Just sayin': We dont really know

Let's assume you are correct. I don't find it makes that much of a difference.
If it takes one person being rude to you, to make you go assholing in full-blast
then you are a problem. If one person being rude to you makes you blind to the
negative effects your bahaviour has on a whole group and makes you effectively
say you don't care about the annoyance you are causing then you are a biiger
problem than the person being rude.

> 2. Antoon: I was a bit surprised at your siding with the indentation business.
> As an old-geezer programmer I can think of a number of reasons why,
> indentation=structure is a problem. Thats a subject for another thread.

You didn't expect me to be perfect, did you? What bothered me was that some
poisoned by other languages" or "You will grow to love some python aspect".
People can argue the advantages of how python does it, but my buttons get
pushed when they do it in a way that suggest you are just not a true convert
yet.

> However for a thread whose subject-line says "First day beginner to python…"
> I am surprised that you (ie Antoon) participated.
> I say this since wrt the Nikos-issue, you seem to be the only sane guy around
> who feels the Nikos-threads are more the problem than Nikos.

Nikos has a history, Jonas didn't. So I was willing to give Jonas the benefit of
doubt, while Nikos has spend that a long time ago. As you, I considered it a real
possibility that Jonas had been provoked somehow, so I was willing to give him
a chance by trying to explain things to him in a not provocative way, in the hope
he would calm down and be willing to be more cooperative. In the end that doesn't
seem to have worked out well but I thought he deserved a chance.

Now I wouldn't mind if some people would still give Jonas some benefit of doubt
where mine is exhausted. People can have wider boundaries than mine. However with
Nikos, it seemed that some people just didn't had any boundaries and expected
Nikos to be treated as if he had no history.

--
Antoon Pardon