Cookie fucking problem

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Mon Oct 28 04:10:14 EDT 2013

Op 28-10-13 08:44, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:30:52 +0100, Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> Feel free to occupy your time with baiting Nikos. But *do not* do it in
>>> this forum.
>>
>> Would you mind telling this to others too. AFAICS Chris Angelico is just
>> as much baiting Nikos, as Mark Lawrence is.
>
> Chris is not baiting Nikos, he is giving him useful information that
> unfortunately Nikos doesn't want to hear. There is a difference between
> the answer you want and the answer you need.

Yes Chris is baiting. That he also provides contributions that are
helpful, doesn't contradict other contributions are baiting. It is even
possible for a helpful contribution to be baiting. If you know that a
generally helpful contribution, will probably just invite Nikos to
plead, insist, whine, ... that you solve the problem for him then you
are baiting him just as well.

>> But I don't see you reacting
>> to Chris. So it seems you don't have a problem so much with baiting as
>> long as the baiting is done in a way you find acceptable.
>>
>> Personnaly I don't see much difference between the two, so if you allow
>> Chris baiting Nikos, I don't see why Mark should hold back.
>
> Here's an analogy:
>
> Person A: "Clean my room for me!"
> Person B: "No. Clean it yourself. Here's the vacuum cleaner."
> Person A: "CLEAN MY ROOM!!!"
> Person B: "No. You made the mess, you're old enough to clean it yourself."
>
> Person A: "Clean my room for me!"
> Person C: "You're stupid and ugly and I hope you die!"
>
> Do you see the difference yet?

That difference is only important the first few times. If you already
suggested the vacuum cleaner countless times and you know that
suggesting the vacuum cleaner will result in a temper tantrum then
after a while, you suggesting the vaccuum cleaner is just as much
baiting. Sure it is more subtle and people who don't know the situation
may not see it, but for those who know what is likely going to happen
the difference is insignificant.

We all know that whatever answer you give to Nikos, that if it doesn't
completly solve his answer for him in a way he likes, he wil just
return and demand more. So limiting your contribution to information
that was already provided and which IHE didn't help, is baiting.

So stop excusing this kind of behaviour under the guise that it is
helpful. It isn't.

--
Antoon Pardon