Don't use default Google Group client (was re:....)

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 10:58:58 EDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 06:19 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 26/10/2013 00:44, rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
>>>
>>> So don't use it. Get any decent newsreader, such as Thunderbird, and
>>> access the list at news.gmane.org as gmane.comp.python.general.
>>
>> Peter, you can ignore Terry's "advice" if Google Groups works for you.
>> There are a small number of Google haters here who seem larger due to
>> their obnoxious noisiness.
>>
>> I've been using Google Groups to post here for many years and with a
>> little care it is usable without annoying anyone except a few drooling
>> fanatics.  All access methods have pros and cons (and I've posted here
>> about many of TB numerous cons) so if the usability tradeoff favors
>> GG for you (or anyone else) I recommend you not be intimidated by
>> the anti-GG goon squad.
>
> Thunderbird cons - I've never known any.

That's odd, because in
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/FFAe5sJ7kQ4/GmDtHitY50QJ
I responded to a direct question from you about problems
with Thunderbird.  If you mean instead that because *you've*
experienced no problems, then none exist, that's your business
but I hope you don't carry that attitude into your programming

Further, that post was only with technical issues related to
TB; in another thread in which you participated, I explained
some of the other usability tradeoffs, issues of personal
choice and preference which clearly vary between users, for
example in:
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/Rxw7H4yNGh4/WRZDOzZd76oJ
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/Rxw7H4yNGh4/41hZ3Si5G0cJ
  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/Rxw7H4yNGh4/jKu57BLvqIUJ
I question your judgement if you see you own preferences for
TB as being absolute and applicable to everyone.  The idea
that there exists any access method for reading this list
that has *no* cons is ludicrous.

> Google groups cons - continual
> streams of messages on a daily basis that are double spaced despite
> umpteen requests to follow instructions so the crap doesn't get
> repeated.  Just how difficult is it?  Are you prepared to pay for my new
> glasses, as the eye strain caused by google crap really does get to me.

You are being absurd.  If you are seriously willing to damage
your eyesight because you feel compelled to read every post
here then you should seek psychological help right away.