Don't use default Google Group client (was re:....)

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 10:55:59 EDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 06:25 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Peter, you can ignore Terry's "advice" if Google Groups works for you.
>> There are a small number of Google haters here who seem larger due to
>> their obnoxious noisiness.
>>
>> I've been using Google Groups to post here for many years and with a
>> little care it is usable without annoying anyone except a few drooling
>> fanatics.  All access methods have pros and cons (and I've posted here
>> about many of TB numerous cons) so if the usability tradeoff favors
>> GG for you (or anyone else) I recommend you not be intimidated by
>> the anti-GG goon squad.
>
> As soon as we hear of people automatically blacklisting any posts that
> come from Thunderbird, I'll believe you that they're on par. Until
> then, no matter how courteous you might be in your use of GG (which
> still makes you part of an extremely small minority), you still have a
> fundamental downside in that your message simply won't get to
> everyone.

I am aware of that.  As I said the last time the subject came up,

* So what?  Anyone too lazy or with too much need to control, to
 not skip over posts they find annoying probably is someone unlikely
 to offer anything constructive in any thread I'm participating
 in.

* It is not at all clear that the number who actually completely
 ignore GG is more than a very small number.

* Life's full of tradeoffs.  The convenience of GG to some people
 is worth the downside.