Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 17 01:24:16 EDT 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:53:22 -0700, Mark Janssen wrote:

>> And your earlier idea that punched cards didn't have tokens is wildly
>> ignorant of the state of software and languages 50 years ago.
>
> Please tell me how you parsed tokens with binary switches 50 years ago.
> Your input is rubbish.

Mark, it's 2013, not 1993. You're twenty years out of date.

"Binary switches" was state of the art in the mid 1940s. By the late
1940s programmers were writing code in machine code, and by early 1950s
they were using assembly code. Some of the early programming languages
include:

- Regional Assembly Language (1951)
- Autocode (1952)
- Speedcode (1953)
- IPL (1954)
- FLOW-MATIC (1955)

leading to the first "high-level" language, FORTRAN (1955 or 1957,
depending on what stage you consider it as "invented").

Fifty years ago, in 1963, programmers had a choice between many high-
level languages, including:

- FORTRAN (invented in 1955)
- COMTRAN (1957)
- LISP, ALGOL (1958)
- FACT, COBOL, RPG (1959)
- APL, Simula, Snobol (1962)
- CPL (1963)

and were only a year away from being able to program in BASIC and PL/I as
well.

--
Steven