Parallel Python x.y.A and x.y.B installations on a single Windows machine

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 08:47:22 EST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Jurko Gospodnetić
<jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr> wrote:
>   Yup, we could do that, but at first glance it really smells like an
> overkill. Not to mention the potential licensing issues with Windows and an
> unlimited number of Windows installations. :-)

Ah, heh... didn't think of that. When I spin up arbitrary numbers of
VMs, they're always Linux, so licensing doesn't come into it :)

>   So far all tests seem to indicate that things work out fine if we install
> to some dummy target folder, copy the target folder to some version specific
> location & uninstall. That leaves us with a working Python folder sans the
> start menu and registry items, both of which we do not need for this.
> Everything I've played around with so far seems to use the correct Python
> data depending on the interpreter executable invoked, whether or not there
> is a regular Windows installation somewhere on the same machine.

Okay! That sounds good. Underkill is better than overkill if you can
get away with it!

Good luck. You'll need it, if you're trying to support Python 2.4 and
all newer versions AND manage issues across patch releases...

ChrisA