Parallel Python x.y.A and x.y.B installations on a single Windows machine

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Mon Nov 25 08:42:26 EST 2013

   Hi.

On 25.11.2013. 14:04, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Is it possible to set up virtualization to help you out? Create a
> virtual machine in something like VirtualBox, then clone it for every
> Python patch you want to support (you could have one VM that handles
> all the .0 releases and another that handles all the .1 releases, or
> you could have a separate VM for every Python you want to test).

   Thank you for the suggestion.

   Yup, we could do that, but at first glance it really smells like an
overkill. Not to mention the potential licensing issues with Windows and
an unlimited number of Windows installations. :-)

   So far all tests seem to indicate that things work out fine if we
install to some dummy target folder, copy the target folder to some
version specific location & uninstall. That leaves us with a working
Python folder sans the start menu and registry items, both of which we
do not need for this. Everything I've played around with so far seems to
use the correct Python data depending on the interpreter executable
invoked, whether or not there is a regular Windows installation
somewhere on the same machine.

   We can use the script suggested by Ned Batchelder to temporarily
change the 'current installation' if needed for some external installer
package to correctly recognize where to install its content.

   I'm still playing around with this, and will let you know how it goes.

   Thank you again for replying!

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić