Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 01:42:44 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> I'm not an expert on Indian English, but I understand that in that
> dialect it is grammatically correct to say "the codes", just as in UK and
> US English it is grammatically correct to say "the programs".

I wouldn't necessarily even consider it an Indian thing, as I've known
Americans to use the same phrase.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2013 02:18:03 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> declaimed the following:
>

>>Aside: I love the fact that pea, as in green peas or black-eyed peas, is
>>a back-formation from an uncountable noun. Originally English had the
>>word "pease", as in "pease porridge hot" from the nursery rhyme. Like
>>wheat, rice, barley and others, You would have to say something like
>>"give me a grain of pease" if you only wanted one. Eventually, people
>>began to assume that "pease", or "peas", was the plural and therefore
>>"pea" must be the singular. I look forward to the day that "rice" is the
>>plural of "ri" :-)
>
>         Rice is the plural of rouse

Not according to the dictionary.  But it does seem a more likely
candidate for a hypothetical back formation than "ri", which perhaps
was your point.