Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 09:00:28 EST 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 1:42 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> I'm not an expert on Indian English, but I understand that in that
>> dialect it is grammatically correct to say "the codes", just as in UK and
>> US English it is grammatically correct to say "the programs".
>
> I wouldn't necessarily even consider it an Indian thing, as I've known
> Americans to use the same phrase.

Yes - when I arrived at a Department of Energy national laboratory in the late 1960s, code, to code, and coding were pretty much the accepted verb forms.  To the best of my knowledge, the word program didn't start to creep in until later.  I'm guessing, but I'd assume it started to arrive with the first computer science graduates.

-Bill