Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Nov 22 21:18:03 EST 2013

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:55:44 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:22:29 +0530, Bharath Kummar wrote:

>> Could you PLEASE provide me with the codes (codes only for the asked
>> queries) ?
>
> The codes are:
>
> 1) 7373a28109a7c4473a475b2137aa92d5
> 2) f2fae9a4ad5ded75e4d8ac34b90d5c9c
> 3) 935544894ca6ad7239e0df048b9ec3e5
> 4) b1bc9942d029a4a67e4b368a1ff8d883
>
> Please contact your local government eavesdropping agency for assistance
> on decoding the codes.

I'm not an expert on Indian English, but I understand that in that
dialect it is grammatically correct to say "the codes", just as in UK and
US English it is grammatically correct to say "the programs".

In other words, in UK/US English, "code" in the sense of programming code
is an uncountable noun, like "rice" or "air", while in Indian English it
is a countable noun like cats or programs. We have to say "give me two
samples of code", or perhaps "two code samples", while an Indian speaker
might say "give me two codes".

As this is an international forum, it behoves us all to make allowances
for slight difference in dialect.

Aside: I love the fact that pea, as in green peas or black-eyed peas, is
a back-formation from an uncountable noun. Originally English had the
word "pease", as in "pease porridge hot" from the nursery rhyme. Like
wheat, rice, barley and others, You would have to say something like
"give me a grain of pease" if you only wanted one. Eventually, people
began to assume that "pease", or "peas", was the plural and therefore
"pea" must be the singular. I look forward to the day that "rice" is the
plural of "ri" :-)

--
Steven