Having trouble setting up an extremely simple server...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 09:16:18 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> Also, every semicolon we save can be broken down and res-used as TWO
> decimal points!  The Americans use the top part, most other places use
> the bottom part.  It's like a punctuation breeder reactor.  One piece
> goes in, and two come out.

That's only the glyph, though. You can't do that with the codepoints -
all you end up with is a U+0003 'END OF TEXT' and a U+000B 'LINE
TABULATION', useful occasionally but hardly in great demand. No, once
you've broken the glyph apart, there's not a lot you can do with the
codepoint, and they end up filling the nuclear waste disposal caverns.
People keep coming up with schemes for utilizing waste U+0003s, but
there's a fundamental problem that text can only end once [1], and all
attempts to use U+0003 in commercial use resulted in the premature
termination of the text concerned. Of course, the FDA put an immediate
stop to that - so expensive to compensate the families of the
terminated text - so we're back where we started.

ChrisA

[1] As is stated in the Holy Writ, Hebrews 9:27: "Just as text is
destined to end once, and after that to face judgment, so C strings
receive but a single NUL to terminate the strings of many."