Having trouble setting up an extremely simple server...

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Nov 22 08:41:28 EST 2013

In article <528eec7a$0$29992$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> There are all sorts of things that you can do that don't make your code
> "wrong" but do make it difficult to deal with. Why stop with semi-colons?
>
> import socket; pass; pass; pass; pass; pass;
> serverReady = ((True is True) is True) is True) is True);
> serverSock =         socket     .                              \
>                                 socket(
>                     socket                 .           \
>            AF_INET                    \
>                                 ,                      \
>                     socket            .                        \
>                                 SOCK_STREAM                    \
>            )                                          \
>                                 ;

Steve, you're just worried about how readable some Python code is.  All
I can say to that is #firstworldproblem.  There's bigger issues at stake
here.

One thing to be aware of is that semicolons are valuable on the world
punctuation spot market.  Somewhere, right now, in Greenwich or
Stamford, or maybe Tribeca, in some hedge-fund sweat shop, there's a C++
programmer who can't afford to write a for(;;) loop because he doesn't
have enough semicolons.  Why?  Because the world punctuation markets
can't handle the added buy-side pressure from new Python programmers
using the wrong punctuation.

Also, every semicolon we save can be broken down and res-used as TWO
decimal points!  The Americans use the top part, most other places use
the bottom part.  It's like a punctuation breeder reactor.  One piece
goes in, and two come out.

So, really.  Cut it out with the semicolons.  If you won't do it for us,
think of the hedge-fund coders.