Possibly better loop construct, also labels+goto important and on the fly compiler idea.

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Mon Nov 4 03:38:52 EST 2013

Op 03-11-13 23:11, Ben Finney schreef:
> Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> writes:
>
>> Op 03-11-13 06:17, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
>>> I'm trying hard to give up threads like this, where people debate
>>> the subjective tone of an email and ever more pedantic arguments
>>> about the precise wording. Even when all participants are arguing in
>>> good faith, they risk becoming quagmires which go nowhere in dozens
>>> of posts.
>>
>> So it seems you want this to be a welcoming community, as long as we
>> don't propose you to change your own behaviour.
>
> We aim to be a community that always welcomes diversity of people. This
> does not entail always welcoming bad behaviour.

But the question was whether some behaviour of steve himself was
contributing or in conflict with his aim.

> Steven is aiming to change his behaviour to make the community more
> welcoming of people: he is aiming to cease contributing to threads where
> the bad behaviour is an interminable discussion of tone and pedantry.
> This is, as I see it, wholly compatible with making the community more
> welcoming to people, by reducing the volume of such threads.

Sorry but from my side that sounds awefully convenient. When the
behaviour of others is questionable, they undermine the welcoming
atmosphere of the community. When Steves behaviour is questionable the
others are behaving badly by discussing tone and pedantry.

This is a typical: "Heads, I win, Tail, you lose" situation that is
being set up.

--
Antoon Pardon