Error with python 3.3.2 and https

asianavatar at gmail.com asianavatar at gmail.com
Thu May 23 13:49:55 EDT 2013

Yeah that is the case. Once I change the f = opener.open('website') line to a link that has a https I get that socket error. Nothing else changes. I was reading online and came across this site which shows you how if the version of python installed supports ssl.

http://morlockhq.blogspot.ca/2008/05/python-tip-checking-to-see-if-your.html

When I followed the instructions I got that it wasn't supported, although the ssl.py is in the lib directory. Python was installed from the official python page using the windows installer. Is somehow ssl disabled by default? Do I need to get a third party ssl module?