Error with python 3.3.2 and https

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 23 18:23:55 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 3:49 AM,  <asianavatar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah that is the case. Once I change the f = opener.open('website') line to a link that has a https I get that socket error. Nothing else changes. I was reading online and came across this site which shows you how if the version of python installed supports ssl.
>
> http://morlockhq.blogspot.ca/2008/05/python-tip-checking-to-see-if-your.html
>
> When I followed the instructions I got that it wasn't supported, although the ssl.py is in the lib directory. Python was installed from the official python page using the windows installer. Is somehow ssl disabled by default? Do I need to get a third party ssl module?

Hrm. Unfortunately those instructions don't work for Python 3... or at
least, if they do, then both of my handy installations (one Windows,
one Linux) don't have SSL. However, I *can* do 'import ssl' and
'import _ssl', the latter of which is what Lib/socket.py checks for.
In Python 3.3's Lib/socket.py there's no mention of ssl anywhere, so
I'd be inclined to look elsewhere for support checks.

ChrisA