Making safe file names

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed May 8 23:08:43 EDT 2013

On Wed, 08 May 2013 21:11:28 -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:

> It's a thing (especially in witch house) to make names with odd glyphs
> in order to be harder to find and be more "underground". Very silly. Try
> doing searches for these artists with names like these:

Challenge accepted.

> http://www.last.fm/music/%E2%96%BC%E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0%E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0%
E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0
> http://www.last.fm/music/ki%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0y+c%E2%96%B2t

The second one is trivial. Googling for "kitty cat" "witch
house" (including quotes) gives at least 3 relevant links out of the top
4 hits are relevant. (I'm not sure about the Youtube page.) That gets you
the correct spelling, "ki††y c△t", and googling for that brings up many
more hits.

The first one is a tad trickier, since googling for "▼□■□■□■" brings up
nothing at all, and "mourning star" doesn't give any relevant hits on the
first page. But "mourning star" "witch house" (inc. quotes) is successful.

I suspect that the only way to be completely ungoogleable would be to
name yourself something common, not something obscure. Say, if you called
yourself "Hard Rock Band", and did hard rock. But then, googling for
"Heavy Metal" alone brings up the magazine as the fourth hit, so if you
get famous enough, even that won't work.

--
Steven