Making safe file names

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:11:28 EDT 2013

On 2013.05.08 19:16, Roy Smith wrote:
> Yup.  At Songza, we deal with this crap every day.  It usually bites us
> the worst when trying to do keyword searches.  When somebody types in
> "Blue Oyster Cult", they really mean "Blue Oyster Cult", and our search
> results need to reflect that.  Likewise for Ke$ha, Beyonce, and I don't
> even want to think about the artist formerly known as an unpronounceable
> glyph.
>
> Pro-tip, guys.  If you want to form a band, and expect people to be able
> to find your stuff in a search engine some day, don't play cute with
> your name.
It's a thing (especially in witch house) to make names with odd glyphs in order to be harder to find and be more "underground". Very silly.
Try doing searches for these artists with names like these:
http://www.last.fm/music/%E2%96%BC%E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0%E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0%E2%96%A1%E2%96%A0
http://www.last.fm/music/ki%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0y+c%E2%96%B2t
--
CPython 3.3.1 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1