Message passing syntax for objects | OOPv2

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 10 03:37:30 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.1523.1368160434.3114.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The first hard disk I ever worked with stored 20MB in the space of a
>> 5.25" slot (plus its associated ISA controller card).
>
> Heh.  The first hard disk I ever worked with stored 2.4 MB in 6U of rack
> space (plus 4 Unibus cards worth of controller).  That's not actually
> the first hard disk I ever used.  Just the first one I ever got to touch
> with my own hands.
>
> Did I mention that the air filters had to be changed a few times a year?
>
> Uphill both ways, in the snow, while beating off the dinosaurs with
> sticks.

Yeah, I'm pretty young. First computer I ever broke (the same one that
had the aforementioned 20MB drive) addressed a whole megabyte of
memory, 640KB of which was OK (we're left wondering whether anyone
would notice if ROM developed a fault), and I got to play around with
64KB of it in DEBUG.EXE. And yeah, I wrote code straight in DEBUG and
saved it and crashed the system. (Tip: If you want to write a device
driver, make sure you start with your dad happy with you.) Was good
fun. I heartily recommend the exercise, but... uhh... do consider
setting up a virtual machine first :)

ChrisA