Message passing syntax for objects | OOPv2

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri May 10 07:49:11 EDT 2013

On May 10, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

> In article <mailman.1523.1368160434.3114.python-list at python.org>,
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The first hard disk I ever worked with stored 20MB in the space of a
>> 5.25" slot (plus its associated ISA controller card).
>
> Heh.  The first hard disk I ever worked with stored 2.4 MB in 6U of rack
> space (plus 4 Unibus cards worth of controller).  That's not actually
> the first hard disk I ever used.  Just the first one I ever got to touch
> with my own hands.

Sounds suspiciously like an RK05.  We used a lot of those on DEC PDP-8e's.  I can remember how startled I was when I first saw a DEC engineer pull the top off one and then, with it open, spin it up.  The platter inside was warped (a ceiling light reflected off the platter wiggled and then blurred) but the head mechanism actually just followed it up and down!!!

Bill