Creating a Super Simple WWW Link, Copy, & Paste into Spreadsheet Program

Denis McMahon denismfmcmahon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 07:48:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:28:09 -0700, buford.lumbar wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to Python. Would someone be able to write me and/or to show
> me how to write a simple program that:
>
> 1-follows a hyperlink from MS Excel to the internet (one of many links
> like this, http://www.zipdatamaps.com/76180, for e.g.) and then,
>
> 2-copies some data (a population number, e.g. 54195) and then,
>
> 3-pastes that data back into the same MS Excel spreadsheet, into the
> adjacent cell.

Why do you want to do this in python? I thought visual basic (or a
variant thereof) was the preferred coding environment for such things in
ms office?

A quick google finds me vb code to download a url into a string -
presumably once you've done that you can find the value you want to
scrape into your spreadsheet.

Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon at gmail.com