My son wants me to teach him Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 19:34:04 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Went digging to see what version they support, and found it - buried -
> and with some FUD:
>
> https://developers.google.com/edu/python/set-up
> "For Google's Python Class, you want a python version that is 2.4 or
> later, and avoiding the 3.x versions for now is probably best."
>
> I would recommend going with Python 3, preferably 3.3, because that's
> the future of Python. Unless you have a good reason for sticking with
> 2.x, go with 3.x.

BTW, just to clarify this statement: I don't object to there being
courses for 2.x that don't touch 3.x (though I'd still use this as a
strong criterion in choosing a course); the bit I object to is the
vague FUD about "avoiding" 3.x, as though that branch isn't stable
yet. If it simply said "For Google's Python Class, you want a Python
version between 2.4 and 2.7.x", that'd be much better.

ChrisA